The figures for music sales in Spain in 2021

The recorded music market achieved total revenues that amounted to 410 million euros throughout 2021 in Spain, which meant a 15% growth compared to the 356 million achieved in 2020, the first year of the pandemic by the Covid-19, according to information just presented by Promusicae, the entity that brings together more than 95% of the Spanish record market, which accounts for music sales in digital and physical format (in retail price value), the synchronizations (use of music in advertising or audiovisual creations) and income derived from the management of intellectual property rights of artists and producers. Music sales, as a whole, account for the bulk of the figure obtained (367.2 million) . The digital market reached 83% of the music that was consumed (303.5 million), leaving the rest of the billing for physical formats (63.7 million euros). However, despite its growth, Spain suffered a new regression in the world ranking of countries that sell the most music, losing one position and going from position 13 to 14. A situation that moves away from the 9th position it occupied at the beginning century. An eminently digital market
98% of the digital market comes from streaming and it becomes the main driver of the figures achieved, since it alone achieves revenues of 297.4 million euros. Most of this revenue comes from audio platforms (246 million), compared to video (51.3 million). These figures were made possible by some 15 million Spanish citizens who made use of the audio streaming service platforms. Of them, 4.4 million paid a monthly fee to obtain the benefits of being subscribed. The data reveals a growth in subscriptions, with respect to the previous year, of 19%. On the other hand, this year the income generated by music on social networks stands out again. Facebook and Instagram represent an increasingly relevant piece of information for the industry, since their incorporation in 2020. This year, consumption income from Tik Tok is added for the first time. The remaining 2% of the digital market belongs to permanent downloads and the sale of mobile products which, although declining, managed to invoice a total of approximately 6 million euros. Physical formats
The CD continues to prevail as a physical format – and records a growth over the previous year of 6% – selling 4.4 million copies. Vinyl achieves a rise of more than 32% in its sales, going from 1.2 to 1.6 million units. 15.3% increase in physical sales. This market represents revenues of 63.7 million euros in the global calculation where the CD represents almost 60% of the market and vinyl the remaining 40%. Other revenues
The synchronizations and the management of intellectual property rights add other additional income that is accounted for throughout the year. Thus, the synchronizations, with a return to practically normal activity in audiovisual productions during the year, allowed for a growth of 22.6%, going from billing 2.6 to 3.2 million euros. A trend that is not matched in the collection for collective management rights, which, although it manages to grow compared to the previous year (going from 37.1 to 39.5 million) has not yet reached the figures prior to the pandemic, as 100% of normality in the hotel sector, leisure and public places where music is regularly used has not been recovered to a large extent. Assessments from the industry
The president of Promusicae, Antonio Guisasola, made a positive assessment for the year-end industry, “by achieving a new and significant increase in income compared to the previous year, although it must be understood that 2020 was an exceptionally difficult year and slowdown abrupt in the upward trend that had been observed. But with nuances, since, although it is true that we are back on the road to recovery, we still have figures that do not reach 50% of the maximum reached in 2001, when the sale of music in our country represented income of around 750 million euros». And he added, “we must aim to be at the level of leading countries in music consumption, such as the United States, which has already exceeded its historical maximum in nominal values ​​(without taking inflation into account) or the United Kingdom, which is about to achieve it. . For this reason, we will continue working to obtain the necessary support and help from the administration in terms of tax incentives – equivalent to those enjoyed by other cultural sectors – or the implementation of the cultural bonus among the youngest, so that they can have a quality approach to the music they consume. To close, we remember the protagonists of the annual list of albums and songs for 2021, with C. Tangana and Rauw Alejandro at the helm.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: